Saturday, August 14, 2010

Why I Made This Blog And My Experience With Neopets

Hello. This is The Deadly One's first blog. Hopefully I know what I'm doing.

So...Where to start?

This blog was created for the purpose of chronicling my adventures of eating all the Neopets Food that are in Active existence. For those of you who do not know what Neopets is, Wikipedia pretty well sums it up. This may sound confusing right now, but I will explain.

In the year 2000 A.D., my sister, who had learned of Neopets from a friend, signed up to Neopets and created an account. I was young then, and had not quite been introduced to all the joys of computers, especially the Internet. I knew how to use a computer, and probably occasionally went on to a website, but it was never really ongoing. I preferred to play role-playing games (pretending to be a Digimon or Pokemon and such and coming up with stories on the spot; having adventures, etc.) in the house or at a friend's house, or outside with friends or my siblings in the schoolyard. I knew that my sister was playing Neopets but I just wanted her to play with me and did not want to make an account. She asked me a couple of times but I didn't want to.

Then one day, on June 8, 2001, in the last month of school for that year, just before the summer break, I went to my mother's office where my sister was playing Neopets on the computer. Again I just wanted her to play with me outside, but she again suggested that she make an account for me to play on. She said I would like it, so I reluctantly gave in. I was hooked immediately. It was amazing. I told my friends about it and they started accounts, and my sister and I got my younger sister hooked as well. Even on that first day I was mesmerized by the food I could buy with my Neopoints. I would spend hours making lists of all the foods I saw in the shops, and eventually other items besides food. This was long before I found the convenient NeoItems.net and Jellyneo's Neopets Item Database, which are both catalogues of all the Neopets items. It saves me the trouble now because I can easily look up items.

Anyways, it was a lot of fun and I played it for many years. But I started getting busier with schoolwork, so I started playing less. For some reason, I forgot my password one day and when I sent in password reminder requests to be e-mailed, I couldn't receive them for some reason and I couldn't sign back in. At this point, though, it wasn't as good because it had been bought by Viacom and it started to be used to make money, not to mention the annoying advertisements all about. I occasionally would still play it though under other accounts, but not as wholeheartedly. Still, I did buy the TCG and The Darkest Faerie for PS2 around this time, so I wasn't that lost to it. It was in 2005, about a year after the disappointment of the cancelled Return of Dr. Sloth plot which I was so looking forward to (it was revived, but too late, I haven't seen it and I don't know anything about it, but some day I will have a look at it) that I played gradually less and less. In 2007, Neopets changed its format dramatically, which threw me off so that I had trouble finding my way around. At this point I rarely played. I recently started a new account, for reasons I don't understand fully, but by then Adam and Donna had left, and it was not as good as it used to be. For one thing, I think the NC Mall, Neopets Mobile, and Neopets Premium (along with the advertisements) ruined it. The merchandising I was fine with, though. I got some plushies from MacDonald's.

So that was a brief sommary of my experience with Neopets. I still play it a little. But if I am not so into it now as I was back then, why am I making this blog? Well...There is still something about Neopets that keeps drawing me back to it. I am not really sure what, though. Maybe its quirky sense of humour that I have somewhat adopted. In any case, it still is holding my interest. I have still done research on it.

This is my goal; and it's a big one that will keep me busy for a very long time: To try all the Active Neopets Food in order of release/by ID Number. I will explain the "rules" in greater detail soon, so everything will be clearer. I have always loved food and trying new and exotic ones, and the Neopets food has fascinated me with its strange cuisine (it certainly is creative with some of its food), which is why I want to try it. Some of it doesn't exist, but I will explain how I will attempt to overcome that soon. Any other reasons why I am doing this ambitious project are unknown to me (perhaps I have too much time on my hands, but it certainly doesn't feel like it).

No comments:

Post a Comment